Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Not One Little Bit


The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house. All that cold, cold, wet day.
I sat there with Sally.
We sat there, we two. And I said, “How I wish we had something to do!”
Too wet to go out, and too cold to play ball. So we sat in the house. We did nothing at all.
So all we could do was to Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit! And we did not like it. Not one little bit.

 Okay, I admit that is from Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat.  But it pretty accurately describes how I feel.  It has been overcast, rainy and windy all day.  There was a break in the weather around 5:00, but just as I was leaving work, a delivery guy showed up with a large order.  By the time I got home, I could see large amounts of rain falling to the south.  "Adam," I asked, "how far away do you think that is?"

Adam looked out toward the mountains and guessed forty miles.  

"So do you think if I drive 20 miles out I could..."

"Nope."

We went inside and Aislynn told me all about her first day of school.  I looked outside again.  "Adam, do you think it's actually moving northwest? Maybe it will go right past us."

"Hmmm..maybe," he said, doubtfully.

Then we heard thunder.  And then it started pouring.  "Okay, we'll wait five minutes," I told him.

About ten minutes later, I looked out the window again and saw it clear way off to the south.  "Let's go," I announced, reasoning that if we drove south toward Evanston, the weather would get better as we went, and I would end up chasing the storm instead of it chasing me.  Adam went down to put the bike on the truck while I filled two water bottles and finished clipping my cycling shoes.  When I came out into the garage, he looked at me and shook his head.

"I think it's blowing west and north.  I think it's okay." Yeah, I know.  Even to my own ears I sounded  ridiculous and desperate.

Lightening struck.  Twice.  The wind continued to gust.

Adam stepped outside, into the wind that was blowing directly into his face... From the west.

I knew then that the jig was up.  By the time the storm blew over, it would be too late and too dark to ride.

And I didn't like it...not one little bit.

Darn it, blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment