Friday, September 13, 2013

On the road...

Well, after all these months of preparation, training, trials and errors, and falls, (Fred, 4; Me, 1) we are on our way to Washington to start our adventure.  It is a bittersweet trip, in more ways than one.

Two days ago, my husband's mother passed away unexpectedly after going into cardiac arrest.  Adam and Aislynn headed down to Georgia the same day.  I had a work obligation that kept me in Kemmerer at least until today, but have been on standby, waiting to see if I needed to follow my family to Atlanta during this difficult time.

In the end, Adam told me to stay the course (no pun intended) and complete the bike trip. "I'm okay, and you have worked too hard on this not to be able to do it now."  Supportive and selfless, and so very appreciated, even more so because I know what he is going through, being just one year out from my own mom's passing.

So we are moving forward, albeit a little more heavy-hearted.

Even as I look back at the bikes hanging off their rack and at the impossible amount of bags, gear, suitcases, food, etc. in the back of the car, it's hard to believe we are here and just 38 hours away from The Ride.  And I am not kidding about impossible.  I'm honestly not sure how we are going to fit our support driver, Nancy, and her luggage in this car.

I blame Fred.  He is an incorrigible over packer.  This is a man who is on his way to a 323 mile bike ride and wants to bring all his racquetball gear with him, just in case.  What?!?!? (We negotiated.  I talked him down to just one racquet, two racquetballs and shoes...)

Anyway, I am looking forward to blogging from the route.... As always, thanks, blog.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen, my heart aches for you on several levels, only you know. You deserve to be on this adventure. I'm happy Fred and his wife are with you. May God's love and guidance be with you all the way, and may His Spirit open your senses to experience the beauty of creation in ways you have never experienced before. I'm living vicariously through the both of you. Adam has a special place in my heart as well. Pedal away, you have already won! God loves you more than all the world combined. Spend every minute in the moment right now, peg your blessing meter, so you can spread God's blessings upon your return. I love you, hug Fred from me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, thank you, my friend. I just read this to Fred, who said, "Wow..fills you up." Exactly. Please tell Doris she ministered to my heart last night. Love you both. PS. Nancy is actually Fred's sister, not his wife. Barbara is cleverly supporting us from the sanctuary of their lovely home in California. ;). Smart lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Nancy is his sister. I'm just being an idiot:-) Brain farts are getting more frequent as you age:-) Doris is in southern Utah right now, I'll tell her though, thanks. Looking forward to hear your progress report. Take it one mile at the time, no stress allowed on this trip, that is a command. Listen to your heart.

    ReplyDelete