Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Life Is a Journey

May 10, 2013

Looking back, I'm not really sure how my mom and dad managed to raise four kids who are all so totally goal-oriented, but there you have it.

It seems I am never completely happy if I don't have at least one big goal or accomplishment I am working toward.  And if there is no new project, no new challenge in sight, I am downright testy, restless and basically unsuitable for any kind of sustained company.

Fortunately for everyone around me, I do, in fact, have a goal on the horizon.  In September, I want to ride the Washington State portion of the Pacific Coast Bike Trail.  Sounds impressive I know.  Sounds like a pretty big goal.  Let me explain why it's not only big, but monumental.

1. In order to ride the route in 7-8 days, I will need to ride 30-75 miles per day, up climbs, likely in wet weather, on a route I have not yet driven, yet alone ridden, in a state I have only been in three times in my life.

2.  I have never ridden more than about 15 miles on any given day.

3.  I'm not particularly good at being cold, wet, uncomfortable, in pain, or any other conditions that will likely occur.  Plus, I hate camping and bugs, and have sun allergies that cause small, red itchy bumps to break out all over my arms and hands should I forget for one moment to wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 45.

4. (And this is huge, no pun intended...)  I am fat.  Seriously.  I mean, not as fat as I used to be, considering at one point I did the math and figured out I needed to lose about 210 pounds just to be near the numbers on any of those health charts posted in doctor's offices and health clubs.  At this point, I have more like 40 (optimally maybe 50) to go.  But let's face it... the feat is hard enough without having to lug an extra 40-50 pounds on my carcass up every hill on the PCT.  So in addition to prepping for this ride, I have to drop as much of that weight as possible.  Of course, I kind of assume the first will greatly assist with the second. :)

Anyway, to be sure, I've some small obstacles to overcome in four months, or 121 days if my projected start date for riding remains correct (September 11th).

I've decided to document this journey mainly for myself, but also for anyone else who has a long road ahead of them (oh my word, another pun already) and needs some encouragement, motivation, or at least the ability to laugh at someone else's plight as he or she embarks on the journey.

So it begins.  More to come later.

1 comment: