Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Next Step: Food as Fuel

It struck me tonight that I am LITERALLY going to cycle my butt off -- hoorah!  Tonight, 60 minutes on the bike (at the Rec Center) for 12.5 miles, and then 200 steps on the stair climber as a cap off.

I had a grilled chicken salad afterward and feel really good about it.  Everything stayed down (more on that in a later post, perhaps) and it was great to eat and feel I was doing something so good for my body. 

For the next few weeks, I want to master the concept of food as fuel.  I have joined Weight Watchers online -- awesomeness in the form of a website and phone app -- and will really focus on protein, fruits and vegetables, and of course, hydration.  Tracking my food intake on my phone and "counting points" will ensure that I stay within calorie range, but I really want to think about what KIND of food I am putting into my body and getting the most bang for my buck where nutrients are concerned.  I think it's going to become more and more important as I lengthen my rides and begin to work on climbs (although I have no plans to start those dreaded things until late June.... hauling my carcass up big hills does NOT sound like something I am ready for yet.)

Tonight during my workout I took myself up to level 12 in intervals rather than 10... you know, I don't think it's just craziness or the placebo effect... I can actually already feel my body getting stronger and getting accustomed to the challenge.  And, a cool side effect of cycling the harder levels: it is naturally strengthening my core.  After the workout when I was walking around the house, I could feel that my abdominal muscles were tight.  Now what's not to love about that?

I just reread this... somehow I am going to have to add some personal touches and funny stories to this blog or I'm going to bore MYSELF when I go through it again.  Too tired right now, though, for any creativity.

Nite, blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment