Thursday, June 13, 2013

I Couldn't Stop

Have you ever had it happen where someone asks you a simple question and you start to give them the simple answer they wanted, but before you know it you are going on and on and on endlessly?

Yeah, that was me today.  My co-worker Trista innocently asked me what had made me decide to ride the PCT.  I should have politely and succinctly explained that I got interested in it after reading a book and called it good. 

Nope.  Instead, I told her all about the plot of Cheryl Strayed's book, Wild, recounting it painstakingly, practically outlining every chapter in my own sort of manic Cliff Notes version and then describing in just as much detail my own discovery in the bookstore in Bainbridge Island. She was a captive audience and I was out of control.  I think the whole ordeal lasted about 25 minutes.  (It probably felt more like three hours to Trista, who, I have to say, was extremely gracious and patient.) I could hear myself droning on, babbling, and in my head I was shouting, "Shut up, Jennifer, shut up, shut up, shut up!" 

But I couldn't.  I was too keyed up, "in joy" with what I am accomplishing and the journey ahead.  I'm fairly sure there will be more victims of my exuberance before it's all over, and maybe even some casualties. 

How great it was, then, that later in the afternoon as I was leaving my office, my friend Mark saw me and pulled into the parking lot, exiting his car to give me a hug and share both his enthusiasm and cycling experience with me for several awesome minutes.  I got some more shifting advice as well as a ton of encouragement.  Bliss.

So, there it is.  Inquiring minds, beware!  If you dare to ask me about what I am up to lately and how it's going, you may get more than you bargained for.

Thanks, blog.



1 comment: