Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hellloooo, BUFFALO!

You know how when you're learning something new and at first it feels really awkward and clumsy, and you can't even really tell if you are doing it right (or how you would even know IF you were doing it right), but then as you keep working at it, it suddenly starts to feel more natural, and your human body (which is actually an amazing, resilient, adaptable, learning MACHINE) figures it out and you can intuitively tell how to move, how to adjust and modify, and you come to the fantastic realization that you are ON YOUR WAY to mastering a new skill set???

Yep.  Totally had that experience tonight.  My amazing new resources (ie. cool biking guys) at adventurecycling.org gave me enough advice for me to spend the weekend practicing shifting with both derailleurs.  (I had only been using one, which was really limiting my options downhill and uphill.)  It felt so strange and clunky, and the gears seemed slow to shift.  Plus, the front and rear derailleurs each shift in opposite directions from each other, and I kept mixing them up and jumping gears as well forgetting whether I was making the pedaling harder or easier.  Confusion, shame, defeat.

But then, it kind of clicked, and I started shifting more smoothly.  And tonight I rode from Lake Viva Naughton back to town and had a wild, fun time shifting up and down as I adjusted to the hills.  It turns out, by using the large gear, you can gain so much more speed going downhill, thereby propelling yourself up the majority of the next climb.  And, it turns out that what I thought was the granny gear was only the MID granny gear.  Yep, there are lower ones, gears so easy that there is no thigh burn, even on the really steep hills! Who knew!

And now I am on my way to mastering something new... I love that. 

Incidentally, I yelled, "Helllloooooooo, LLAMAS!" as I rode up the killer hill today.  No one got embarrassed, not the llamas, nor the cows, nor anyone else, mostly due to the fact that my 11-year-old daughter wasn't with me to cringe, as she did Sunday night when I yelled, "Helllllooooooooooo, BUFFALO!" at the bison in the field during our ride.

Night, blog.




5 comments:

  1. Jen, I'm so proud of you. Have you noticed there are Emus where the Lamas are as well. As you get more comfortable with your gear shifting, you will notice more of your surroundings, funny how that works! Anyhow, I can help you with shifting technology, I have extensive experience! You are so right, thinking ahead is the key. Don't wait till you need to shift, shift before you have to. Basically stay in the middle of your front derailleur for most of the pedaling. The small ring is used for climbing, the large ring is used for speed on flat roads and downhills. Never cross the chain from the outermost ring on the front to the innermost on the back, (basically the largest rings on both the front and the back), this is cause for the chain to jump off the gears when you pedal hard. Also change one gear at the time and pedal to see how you're doing before changing to the next. Good luck, you are doing amazing things. If you ever need a ride to a staring point so you can ride back to where your car is parked, I would be honored to be of service.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, thanks so much. I have read this over four times and still think I need to talk with you about it! Lost me on the outermost ring to the innermost... stop in at the EC when you have a few minutes.

    I will keep that in mind. Last night I almost stopped at the farm to say hi on my way back in, but wasn't sure if it was too late. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soon you will be dreaming about flying on your bike .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it is confusing. Picture the chain going a straight line ideally. If you use the biggest sprocket wheel in front and back at the same time' the chain will run at an angle. Makes sense? I'll stop by, like to see you anywhooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, yeah, the verbal explanation worked way better. :) Thanks. I will take you up on your taxi offer one of these days, probably sooner than later. Now if the wind would just die down a little... egad.

    ReplyDelete