Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Wonder of Windmills

I'm not sure when I fell in love with windmills, but it was sometime after I read Leviathan in college.  I know that Leviathan came first because that was the beginning of my fascination with man's productivity and industry. 

And what is more symbolic of productivity, industry, determination and endurance than windmills?  I actually think they are kind of beautiful... in fact, really beautiful.  Simple in design, but so functional and yet so graceful.  Love them, love them.

Tonight, after Aislynn and I rode along the river in Evanston, we headed back to Kemmerer just as the sun was starting to set.  When we got to 189, I looked to the left, and there they were: the silhouettes of windmills on the hills, black against the blaze orange, lavendar and pink sky.  Gorgeous.

I think I am going to take on the windmill as my ... what is it called when you use a certain image as your motivation and inspiration toward a goal? Hmm...anyway, whatever it is, that's what a windmill is going to be to me as I continue to prep for this 330 mile ride.  I am going to embody that productivity, industry, determination and endurance.  I am.

Night, blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment