Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Gorgeous Reality Check

I'm sitting in the Phoenix airport, on a layover that is experiencing several hours of delays.  Normally being stranded alone in an airport would be enough to send me over the edge, but I am sufficiently excited about what has been accomplished the past 48 hours that it would take 10 more hours of delays, loss of all power and air conditioning at the airport, the batteries on all my various electronics dying and a small hysterical child vomiting on my shoe to ruin my mood.  None of which has happened yet, knock on pleather.

Over the past two days I went from northern Washington to the Oregon border in Astoria, following the route that I will ride in September.  My friend Fred decided last minute to ride along, which was a happy and welcome addition because 1) I was able to take notes, mark mileage and plan hotel and rest stops while he drove and 2) his sister Nancy offered to drive support vehicle in September, which means I don't have to worry about figuring out how to haul 40-50 pounds of gear on this maiden long distance ride -- hoorah!

The trip was so valuable.  First, it gave a very realistic (albeit daunting) idea of what the route looks like and the training that will be needed in order to accomplish the goal.  I naively thought the hilly roads I have been traveling in Wyoming were perhaps worse or at least comparable to the climbs in September. No and no.  The entire ride endures long, steep climbs the likes of which I have never even experienced, let alone practiced.  I also found out just how long each day will be (what do you mean we have only covered 24 miles so far ?!?!?). I stumbled upon another book on long distance riding that has a training schedule for people wanting to work up to a "century" (100 miles in one day). Needless to say, I will be starting that training right away.

Despite the difficulty of the ride, I will say that it is comprised of view after view of the most stunning scenery I have ever seen, including incredible vistas of Puget Sound and the Pacific Coast.

We also talked to several cyclists who were in the process of doing the Pacific Coast Route, including one who was on day four of his two month ride from Canada to Mexico.  The discussions with these adventurists allowed us to pepper them with questions about their experiences and gave some great insight into what lies ahead.  We asked questions about the physical and the mental preparation, gear, maps, rain and weather considerations....all kinds of helpful things.

From a topography standpoint, this trip has everything... Bridges and ferry crossings, forests, farmland, lighthouses, cities...never a shortage of cool things to look at.  So at least while I am gasping and sucking wind and quite possibly weeping, it will be while looking at a whole lot of "pretty".  (Following are just a few of the sights along the way!)




No comments:

Post a Comment