Sunday, July 28, 2013

Layne's Great Advice

I asked my friend Layne (who's claim to cycling fame is that he, among other adventures, rode his bike from Washington State to Maine a few summers ago) what I need to bring along for my upcoming 323 mile ride.  His response had lots of good practical advice about sunglasses, nutrients, hydration and the like.  All very practical and helpful.

But the single best thing he wrote was, "It's not about the distance on a bike, but using the bike to see our incredible world.  Forget that, the day drags.  Remember it, it soars."  Layne, that's exactly what I would expect from a creative, life-loving genius such as yourself.  Thank you!

In about an hour and a half, I am making my third attempt at riding out to Viva Naughton and back. The ride is 32 miles round trip, definitely long enough to put Layne's advice to the test.  It's a gorgeous day of sunshine and big, fluffy clouds.  Here's to seeing something truly spectacular along the way.  See you on the other side of the ride!

(Oh.. and Layne, uh.... I'm not completely sure I want to know what "Butt'R" is yet.....yikes.)

Cheers, blog.

Update:

Still have not accomplished this ride.  Tonight, I got about 6 miles out when the wind got so bad I had to get off my bike and start walking it.  That's where Adam found me when he came driving up 233.  He had been golfing and got concerned at how fast the storm was blowing in.

It kind of feels like a giant conspiracy. 

BUT.. I will try it again tomorrow.  And the next day.  And the next day, until I make it.

Below, a picture of the weather... probably not the best for riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment