Friday, July 19, 2013

Sticking With Plan A

Adam and Aislynn and I traveled back to Wisconsin this past week for the wedding of a former student who has grown into a truly lovely woman.  I couldn't have been prouder of all she has become, and we felt so blessed to be able to share in her joy.

While there, we decided to attend services at LifePoint, the church my cousins, Rob and Aimee, pastor.  Adam had never seen their facility, and I am always happy to support their efforts over in Mukwonago.  Rob preached a sermon that he entitled, "Plan B Syndrome".  He talked about how many of us start our spiritual journeys in Plan A, where we are passionate, joyful, committed and disciplined in our approach to discipleship.  We are faithful in our worship, dedicated to prayer, sacrificial in our daily living, and genuine in our witness to others.

But somewhere along the way we end up instead executing Plan B... where we simply "exist" spiritually rather than thrive.  We go to church, but are not truly involved in what happens there.  We talk the talk, but are not empowered to thrive in the love story that is the gospel.

It was powerful food for thought, and as I do these days, I found myself relaying the concept not only spiritually, but to all areas of my life, even my cycling.

In how many areas am I stuck in Plan B because I am not correctly planning, organizing, thinking through and disciplining myself to bring my "A" game (or Plan!)? 

I want to accomplish Plan A -- in everything.   So yesterday, my first day back home, I set out to do all things "A".  I got to work early, read through all the notes from my assistants, looked at my schedule for the week, and then got busy writing out backwards calendars for the events coming up, sorting to-do lists by priority and deadlines.  I took care of several pesky, lingering tasks -- you know the ones-- that I had been shoving aside for weeks.  Done.  There are four big community/cultural events coming up for my department in the next two months, and for each one, my team is going to be executing Plan A.

Then, after work, we made a family trip to the grocery store, replenishing our home food supply and focusing on good, nutritious foods -- lots of berries, vegetables, lean meats, healthy snacks.  Normally, once home, I would put everything away and move to the next task.  Not this time.  I sat down and divided everything from berries and nuts to gluten-free pretzels into one-portion bags and containers, writing the calories, and fat, fiber, protein carb grams right on the bags.  Now, throughout the week, I can "grab and go" AND have everything I need to track on my smartphone -- no Plan B in my eating, and no Plan B in my food journal ("I'll do it later when I can look this up...")

Finally, I got on my bike.  I didn't put it on the truck and take it to an "easier" riding route.  I just got on, faced the hills all around me and rode.  It was a short ride (just 6 miles), but man, did I ever do the climbing.  Up Canyon Road.  Up Garnet Street.  Up Dell Rio.  Up, up, up.   Instead of avoiding the steep hills, as I am prone to do, I went out of my way to find them and climb them.  You know why?  Because the route in September is full of climbs and I need to be on my "A" game.

I took a little break in the middle because as I rode past Zakotnik's house, my good friend and confidante Mary Kay was outside on her porch, enjoying her Kindle and some iced tea.  Soon I was enjoying iced tea with her.  We chatted while I cooled off, and then I admired her new countertops and was back on my bike, climbing, climbing, climbing. 

Add to this mix a dentist appointment,a cello lesson, and a devotional and there you have it -- a day chock full of making good, healthy, Plan A choices.

Not surprisingly, I woke up full of energy and excited to start the new day.  So here's to the continuation of Plan A, with thanks to Rob for the paradigm shift.

Have a great day, blog. 

1 comment:

  1. So so inspirational. Makes me want to get my life on the A wagon.

    ReplyDelete