Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sitting Pretty

I am very proud to say that I rode my bike every single day I have been in Wisconsin.  First time ever.  I guess it goes to show that when something is a priority, we accomplish it.  I found myself fashioning my "dates" and appointments around being able to ride my bike to them. My goal was further helped by the fact that my step mom cycles regularly and was happy to ride with me several times.  And. if I can give myself a few extra kudos here, I want to add that it has been 85-90 degrees with high humidity every day. Now that is commitment!

So yes, I need to continue the trend when I get home.  And in fact, I cannot wait to get back to Kemmerer and onto my rode bike again.  Because.....

Because.....

Because I bought a new saddle (seat) today!!! Hoorah!  After reading several books on long-distance cycling, including the Woman's Guide to Cycling, I realized that we women have different sit bone needs than men, ergo the need for specialized "lady-specific" seats.  (Not making that term up... it says right on the package that it's lady-specific.)

Purchased, at Wheel and Sprocket (with a sweet "Founder's Discount" -- thanks Kegel family, and thanks Dad!), a Selle Italia DIVA gel flow seat.  Oh, man.  Oh, man.  Italian leather cover over a gel seat... my booty will thank me tomorrow, the day after, and every day of that 323 mile ride in September.  It has fantastic reviews.. lots of comments by women who were doing some major squirming after 10-15 miles on their old bike seats, but can easily endure 40-60 miles on this one.  Hopefully that is going to be ME very shortly.

I will let you know how it turns out.

In the next two weeks, I need to get majorly organized.  It's time to start creating a list of things I will need and to slowly gather them (and, learning from Cheryl Strayed, practice packing, carrying and using them!)  60 days out now -- yikes!  It's getting really close, but there is still time to get stronger, faster, better.
(Actually, I am feeling a little smug.  My friend Fred is doing the ride with me, and HE has yet to buy a bike... and here I have a bike AND a new seat. Uh huh.)

Stay tuned, and thanks blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment