Sunday, August 11, 2013

Easy Peasy

That was my 30-mile ride today. Easy Peasy Southern Breezy (as my daughter used to say before she got too cool.)  I rode from the southwestern end of State Highway 28 to Farson, WY, which not-so-coincidentally is the "Home of the Big Cone".  I mean, really, what's not to love about ice cream at the end of two hours of cycling?

Anyway, if you would have told me two months ago that I would be breezing through a 30-mile ride with energy (if not sit bones) to spare, I would have said you were "outta yer mind."  And yet, voila, here we are and OH YES I DID. 

Adam and Aislynn dropped me off at the start of the route and then drove on to Farson, had a little lunch and started on their own bikes the opposite direction on 28 toward me.  I felt crazy good about the fact that when I met up with them I had 24 miles under my belt.  I felt even better about the fact that Adam and Aislynn both rode 12 miles (6 to me and 6 with me back to Farson), which means we were out there getting active together, as a family.  Whoo hoo!

The ride is mostly a view of sagebrush with the Wind River Range (I think) off in the distance.   But I did get close enough to an antelope to cough a little on his dust when he finally leaped away from me.  That probably puts me in a pretty small percentage of riders.  (In Cody I got similarly close to a golden eagle.  Isn't it incredible that these are commonplace views out here??? That's the glory in the Wild, Wild, West.)

I felt sufficiently good today to begin visualizing that final ride across the bridge to Astoria, Oregon in September.  I thought I about how I will feel and what it will mean to this journey and to my life as I move forward.  I guess some people would call that counting chickens, but I think it's important to imagine that moment so that it becomes cemented in my mind's eye as not only a goal, but something that can and will be accomplished.

I'm feeling so thankful for and inspired by the people in my life who have taken interest in this "project".  My friend Janelle is in Alaska, doing a marathon.  She is a fitness maniac, and really has "her stuff" together.  And yet she has taken time to encourage me and has genuinely been excited for me as I train for the ride. 

Layne is a master cyclist.  He has ridden his bicycle across this great nation, not to mention internationally.  He is an incredible writer, performer, artist, and still he has been generous with his words and spirit as he has followed this blog.

Peter and Dianne are avid cyclists who embraced this "newbie", opening their home to my family and taking time to ride with Fred and I, sharing their insights, advice, experience and knowledge.

Fred is a nationally ranked racquetball player with international and national championships on his resume.  He plays in tournaments all over the country throughout the year, and has taken time out of his normal drill and playing time to prepare for this trip so that he can do it with me.  And his sister, Nancy, is taking a week out of her life to drive support vehicle to ensure the ride is as safe and comfortable as possible.

The list goes on, from my husband and daughter who are cheering me on daily, to my sister and brother who listen to every sordid detail of the affair and alternately sympathize or celebrate with me, to all of you who have so sweetly have read these blog posts and offered your comments and support.  This whole journey has been just one example of the many ways my cup runs over.

So, in the tradition of Facebook, "Jennifer Lasik is feeling....... grateful."

Thanks, blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment