Sunday, August 4, 2013

Kind of a Big Stretch - Part One (Saturday)

We got home a little while ago from our adventure in the Grand Junction area.  I tried to blog last night, but was simultaneously exhausted and keyed up and couldn't put two coherent sentences together.  Then today I tried again during the ride home and still couldn't focus my thoughts.

You know how it is when so much is jam-packed into a short time that it's hard to figure out what to say about it and what angle to approach it from?  That was this past weekend.  But I just got done talking to my sister, Rebecca, recounting the past few days, and now feel ready to blog.  (Unfortunately for Rebecca, if she reads this, it's going to sound really familiar.  But that's what sisters are for, right??)

We spent the weekend at Fred's sister and brother-in-law's place in Glade Park.  Peter and Dianne have 35 acres that sit above the Colorado National Monument.  They are avid cyclists, and were gracious enough to invite my family to stay with them so that Fred and I could log some hours together on our bikes.  First, let me say that two days in Peter and Dianne's home have made me realize that the Southwest style of home decorating is for me -- something I never would have thought before.  The house and the guest house are done in earthy tones of terracotta, oranges, greens and blues, and it was as if my entire soul let out a collective content sigh in the midst of it.  Their home is also clearly made for entertaining family and guests... I have never seen space so aptly made for people to sit and visit and enjoy one another.  I know exactly who I am going to consult when I am ready to decorate my next home.

We arrived late Friday night and got up moderately early on Saturday.  After a light breakfast, we got ready to ride.  (Lesson one, Fred and I both need a checklist and better organizational skills, as it took an inexplicably long time to gather everything and get on the road.)  The route we took was just over 30 miles long, what I call an "out-and-back" where we road almost to the Utah border and then turned around and rode the same exact path in reverse.  It was mostly rolling hills and really just about the distance and time on the bikes.

Fred did really well, as expected, except of course for the four or five times he cut me off when he was riding in front of me.  We have now come up with a plan for what Peter and Dianne call "car backs", which is when a car is coming up from behind and riders need to be as close to the shoulder as possible in a single file line.  It has been agreed that regardless of who is on the inside or outside, any time there's a car back, I will slow down and Fred will speed up to form a line --- these are the kinds of things you figure out as you ride together.

Anyway, we both felt pretty good when we got back from the ride, sore sit bones and fatigue notwithstanding.  Adam and Aislynn were just coming back from a trip to town, but agreed to ride back in with us to go to R.E.I (a sporting good store.)  (I now know what Butt'R is, Layne!) We also took a little ride through the downtown of Grand Junction -- tres cute.  And good timing, because right about then I was hitting a hypoglycemic low, which is not a good experience for anyone around me, because I get uncharacteristically agitated and impatient and can't make a decision to save my life. 

We had a light meal at a bagel shop and then walked around a bike store before returning back to the house for the most delicious meal I've had in a long time.  Grilled shish kabobs, corn on the cob, squash, saffron rice and a dessert of brownies (that Aislynn made) and ice cream.  Soooo dee-lish.  I loved Dianne's comment at the dinner table:  "The best thing about riding," she said, "is that you get to really eat!"  Cheers to that. 

So any day that ends after a good accomplishment, great food, fantastic company and some card-playing gets an "A+" in my book.

Stay tuned, blog.  Day 2 was a whole different kind of adventure.




No comments:

Post a Comment