Saturday, August 24, 2013

Investment in Life

Gosh, it is getting so close now.  Three weeks to go.  I find myself shifting from the long-term, general training to trying to work out all the logistics -- what equipment I still need, booking motel rooms, figuring out what to pack, wanting to practice with panniers and gear on the bike, etc. Adam and I are perusing all kinds of internet sites looking for everything from a rain-proof jacket to energy gummy snacks.  I've been searching map sites, trying to find some good cycling maps to print out for my handlebar map and phone case (that I also still have to get...)

It's a little overwhelming.  To that point, I was driving my friend's daughter, Braelyn, home the other day, and was asking her if she would rather come to the Event Center and work on a craft instead.  "No," she said, "I think I am just going to go home."  I asked what she was going to do once she got there.  "Maybe play with my babies and watch a movie.  And I'm going to talk to Miley (their shih tzu) about my feelings, because I have a lot of feelings today!"

I feel ya, Braelyn!  I have a lot of feelings, too!  I'm excited, nervous, determined, afraid, proud, worried, restless, apprehensive and everything in-between. 

But one cool thing, when we take Aislynn down to Salt Lake to do school shopping next week, it will be like school shopping for me, too, but for the School of Long Distance Cycling.  Have you ever tried a new sport or activity where you needed to buy new clothes and gear?  I always love that feeling of being "official" once I make those purchases... like a Real Athlete.  I'm looking forward to that piece. 

I was lamenting to my stepmom, Sandy, about the cost of cycling as a hobby.  Soooo expensive.  She didn't miss a beat.  "Sweetheart, you need to look at this as a wonderful investment in you.  Look at what you are accomplishing and how you are feeling.  This is money toward an active and fulfilling life."  Love her.  Spot on.

So, for now I will plan, strategize and keep getting on the bike.  And get some shopping in, too -- hoorah!  One step at a time.

Thanks, blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment